EXPLORE THE CULTURAL ROOTS AND CONTEMPORARY INFLUENCES OF HAWAII
AT LIVE ALOHA HAWAIIAN CULTURAL FESTIVAL
Seattle Center Festál: Live Aloha Hawaiian Cultural Festival, 11 a.m. – 7 p.m., Sunday, Sept. 9, in the Armory/Center House, Mural Amphitheatre and Fisher Roof, explores the cultural roots and contemporary influences of the islands of Hawaii through live performances, cultural displays, hands-on activities, food, workshops, children’s activities, and a lively marketplace.
The festival provides a feast for the senses as visitors journey through the sights, sounds and tastes of Hawaii.
This fifth annual Live Aloha Hawaiian Cultural Festival includes:
• Opening Ceremony with the Royal Hawaiian Guard and an hourly “changing of the guard”
• Two stages of live Hawaiian music and hula featuring renowned artist Keli`i Kaneali`i and headliner group from Hawaii, KAPENA!
• N50 Commemorative lei making workshop
• Kapa making workshop – the art of making ancient Hawaiian cloth
• Kanikaplia Tent – bring your ukulele or other instruments and jam to Hawaiian favorites
• Children’s activities at Keiki Korner
• Cultural History display including a historical exhibit about the Hawaiian Pavilion at the 1962 Seattle’s World Fair
• Hot Hula Fitness workshop – learn to get fit the Hawaiian way
• Hawaiian foods, snacks and marketplace
The 20 Seattle Center Festál cultural celebrations highlight the common forms of tradition and expression among ethnic communities in the Pacific Northwest, while underscoring their unique creative contributions, customs, foods and ideals. Each event offers moving entertainment and fascinating insight into a different culture of the world.
Live Aloha Hawaiian Cultural Festival is part of The Next Fifty at Seattle Center in 2012. The Festival is produced by Live Aloha Hawaiian Cultural Festival Committee in partnership with Seattle Center. For a full event schedule, visit www.seattlelivealohafestival.com, and for more information on this cultural series and other Seattle Center public programming, click on www.seattlecenter.com.
About Seattle Center Festál
Seattle Center Festál, part of The Next Fifty in 2012 celebrating the 50th anniversary of the 1962 Seattle World’s Fair, presents a series of 20 world festivals on weekends throughout the year highlighting the distinct cultures and common threads of ethnic communities in our region through traditional and contemporary art, music, foods, youth activities, workshops and more. This collection of cultural events is produced with the generous support of Wells Fargo, 4Culture and KUOW 94.9 Public Radio. Additional support is provided by Seattle Center Foundation and the City of Seattle.