Seattle's French Fest: A Celebration of French-Speaking Cultures is part of the Seattle Center Festál series and produced in partnership with France Education Northwest (FEN).
In 2022, Seattle Center Festál is celebrating 25 years of stories and traditions. The theme, "Where the World Gathers" links together the series of 24 free festivals presented throughout the year, each with a unique cultural focus, identity, and range of engaging activities.
The festival takes place virtually on March 20, 10:00am-2:00pm via Zoom. Register for the event here.
The festival celebrates the diversity of the traditions, ideas, dialects, and more, that comprise Francophone (French-speaking) cultures from around the world. It draws its inspiration from “International Francophonie Day,” organized in over 100 countries every March 20, to celebrate the diversity of French-speaking cultures and traditions. This year's theme is gastronomy.
French Fest is organized by the nonprofit organization, France Education Northwest, with the support of Seattle Center and the French-American Chamber of Commerce of the Pacific Northwest, in partnership with the Consulate General of France in San Francisco and the Consulate General of Canada in Seattle. With the support of the Consulate General of Canada, they are pleased to introduce this year’s MC, Frédéric Choinière, a talented comedian from Montreal.
- 10:00am-11:15am: Virtual Tour of Chateau de Goulaine (Nantes) & Cooking Demo with Chef Didier Poirier
- The virtual tour is organized by the Seattle-Nantes Sister City Association.
- After the tour, Chef Didier Poirier will prepare the beurre blanc sauce that was invented in the Chateau de Goulaine.
- 11:20am-12:00pm: Virtual Tour of Lantern Brewery with the Seattle Nantes Sister City Association
- Chris Engdahl, the brewer of the "Seattle-Nantes Sister City Beer" at Lantern Brewing, will give us the secret behind this special beer that celebrate the friendship between Seattle and Nantes.
- 12:15pm-12:45pm: Culinary Experience
- Pastry Chefs Laurence Boris and Orphée Fouano, and Chocolatier Anne-Laure Ropars will share with us some of their secret specialties.
- 1:00pm-2:00pm: French Schools and After School Programs in the Puget Sound & The Beau Goss Band
- French schools and after school programs existing through the Greater Seattle have prepared activities & games around the theme of gastronomy. There will be a great prize for the winner!
- Participating schools include: The French American School of Puget Sound (FASPS), The French Immersion School of Washington (FISW), Les Lilas French Bilingual Community School, North Seattle French School (NSFS), The Alliance Française de Seattle!
- The Beau Goss Band will perform an original song in French.
- Virtual Screening of a Movie from Quebec: Maria